The orginal building was built in 1930. A year later was the great earthquake. While the building mostly survived the quake it was burnt out. There were massive fires right though the city. In 1932 tit was fixed up. It was a dry cleaning and cloth dying shop in those days. In 2003 the mezzanine floor was demolished. It was also refurbished to recreate 3 shops.