Saturday, 11 October 2014

Hawkes Bay Museum and Art Gallery

Since 1865 there has always been a building on this very site that provided the people of the Hawkes Bay a place for cultural and learning opportunities.

While the 1931 earthquake  greatly damaged the collections held within the building, the building itself remained standing, one of the few that did.  The earthquake stressed the need that it was very important that there should be an art gallery and museum where the collections would be safe.    
The new museum and gallery were built and opened between 1935 and 1938.  Through many gifts it has grown from then on.  It has always been believed that it should be considered a full museum in the miniature.  

In 1980 one of many appointed directors redeveloped the collection storage areas.  He also began collecting art deco items.  

In 1984 treasured items from part of the Maori collection toured American museums.

In 2010 the museum closed for 3 years.  It was redeveloped into what you see below.  The exterior now reflects the wealth of collections inside.  The new MTG Hawkes Bay opened on the 21st of September 2013.  It includes the older buildings on its site as well as a new wing.  Since then it has won 2 awards for its architecture.   














2 comments: